In this video, we provide a comprehensive statistical analysis of Paul Manafort’s 47-Month Sentence imposed on March 7, 2019 in the Eastern District of Virginia by Judge Ellis. As we discuss, Mr. Manafort received the largest downward variance ever for anyone sentenced under 2S1.3. It also is nearly unprecedented for anyone sentenced with the same
We review the DC and EDVA convictions of Paul Manafort as well as sentencing relevant data from the U.S. Sentencing Commission. We predict that Mr. Manafort will receive a 10-year sentence in his DC case, which will be ordered to run fully concurrently with his sentence in the Eastern District of Virginia. For the Eastern
On April 3, 2018, U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia sentenced Dutch lawyer Alex van der Zwaan to 30 days imprisonment, a $20,000 fine and two months’ supervised release. This was the first sentence obtained by Special Counsel Robert Mueller in his ongoing investigation into
We review Martin Shkreli’s 84-month sentence. “Pharma Bro” received a very, very low 84-month sentence statistically speaking, when compared to similarly situated defendants. We also review Judge Matsumoto’s federal fraud sentences to determine that while a low sentence from a national statistical perspective, an 84-month sentence is the second highest ever imposed by Judge Matsumoto.
Avoiding a likely significant sentence that could have resulted in a de facto life sentence, a mistrial was declared in Sen. Bob Menendez’s corruption trial. Over 97% of federal criminal cases are resolved through a guilty plea. Of the remaining 3% that go to trial, 2.4% result in guilty verdicts. Thus, Sen. Menendez’s mistrial is
On Tuesday, November 7, 2017, Representatives Bobby Scott (D-VA) and Jason Lewis (R-MN) introduced bipartisan legislation aimed at safely reining in the size and associated costs of the federal criminal code and prison system. A press release with a link to the legislation can be here: https://bobbyscott.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/scott-lewis-introduce-bipartisan-criminal-justice-reform-legislation
In this episode, we discuss what Paul Manafort can expect in terms of a cooperation deal, Saipov–the NY truck-terrorist–sentencing guidelines and statistics, and finally some thoughts on Sgt. Bergdahl’s sentence.